Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder

Lololol
That's gonna be really funny

No whoring builds, pure fun and skill. Love it

A lot of people will love it, and a lot of people will hate it. Just like with every other decision on faf lol

profile picture credits to petric

@zwaffelnoob You just summarized life, nothing to do with FAF 😄 .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I believe this is a great decision! Mapgen has been one of the greatest additions to FAF (thanks Neroxis) and it makes for really interesting battles sometimes (specially considering how reclaim heavy they can be, t3 and t4 become doable on a ladder match)

FAF Website Developer

@javi said in Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder:

(thanks Neroxis)

don't forget Sheikah who has improved it a tremenduous amount for more than a year now : )

+1 like to mapgen week.

Let’s rename it to "Neroxis and Sheikah Map Generator". And while we’re at it let’s rename the faf client to "Downlords and Axels and Brutus’ and Sheikahs and All those other guys FAF Client"

Nice we get to see how good people truly are, instead of how good they are at copying builds.

@askaholic said in Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder:

Let’s rename it to "Neroxis and Sheikah Map Generator". And while we’re at it let’s rename the faf client to "Downlords and Axels and Brutus’ and Sheikahs and All those other guys FAF Client"

How about Askaholic's FAF server? Can I give the ice adapter a nICE name?
In all seriousness, we should remove people's names from those projects. This applies especially to the client, which only contained Downlord's name as he was asked to distinguish it from the official FAF client and name it unofficially, instead of using sth like "FAF Client 2.0", ... .

Having issues with connectivity / ICE? Talk to me.

Nah can't change the map generator name the name is hard coded in too many places 😜

@sheikah Well albeit it doesn't have your name on it, I haven't heard anyone complain about the map gen. It's truly an amazing contribution to FAF and I appreciated heavily, it really adds freshness and it leads to creative engagements in competitive scenes. Thanks for your hard work!

FAF Website Developer

@askaholic said in Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder:

Praise Neroxis when mapgen is good, blame Sheikah when something is wrong with it. This is the way

sounds great.
Unfortunately I won't be around to play that one week.,
Don't restrict it to high rated players.

This sounds like fun, but I agree that there needs to be a bulletin in the matchmaking tab. I'm only over on the forum at all because of the connectivity issues recently.

Fundamentally I support anything that can spice up 1v1 and 2v2 to breathe some life into them.

@LinusTech that's an idea we can look into. Currently it's an item on the news page and when the event actually starts the maps listed in the matchmaker map pool will update show mapgen only.

It's time
turn it on 🙂

Mapgen Week is now live on Ladder!

The 1v1 ladder map pool is only 5x5 and 10x10 Mapgen for under 1000 rated players and only 5x5, 10x10, and 20x20 Mapgen for over 1000 rated players for the duration of the next week. Get laddering!

@archsimkat one bad (at least, for me) moment: since we have three maps in map pool, we have 33% of 20x20

At regular map pool that chance is much less

For now every third map is 20x20, and because its scale it takes much more time to play
(5x5 ends in 10 mins, 10x10 in 20mins, 20x20... 30-40 mins)
So we are playing 20x20 most of the time, that's unfortunate

The maps are not actually uniformly weighted. Although I believe right now it is 1:3:2 for 5km:10km:20km so still a 33% chance of 20km though.

I might actually play some ladder now

The thing is the mapgen makes its best maps at 20x20s so it makes sense to have a good amount of them.