Freeze Quitters

Hi all!

I noticed that some players when loose quit and cause the game to freeze or/and the Connectivity Window to appear (they do it on purpose (sore losers)) forcing other players to wait until they can eject the looser.

This rises the question.

How they do it? Leaving by ALT + F4 causes the dialog box "Are you sure you want to quit?" to appear making the ALT + F4 not the case.

Something must be done, because it really kills the FAF experience for players who wait just to kick the dead player.

So, what can be done?

Reasonable solution would be enforcing punishment on the Freeze Quitters in a way of a ban (week should be enough to deliver the message).

Or, maybe the FAF Client itself needs some tweaking to remove this phenomena.

People, what do you think?

The Honorable Recall

It makes sense for one team to be able to vote kick one of their own team members regardless of reason. It should add some kind of discouragement, like maybe not leaving reclaim or sharing on death.

However, it also makes a lot of sense to me that the game does not support that.

Afaik it can happen with all methods of closing the game. E. g. via the dialoge or killing the game with taskmanager. Those people usually don't do it to lagg the game out, but because they are tilted they lost or just want to start the next game. The bug is annoying though and a reason why I don't allow people to obs, cause they can also trigger it as well.

My understanding is that if they leave and the 'leave' message doesn't get sent to all players it triggers that screen to allow them to try and reconnect.
As harzer said it can happen for a number of reasons not all of them deliberate. Which can make it very difficult to determine if it was deliberate.

Hm...

The problem is that players must wait to eject the defeated player, which is absurd.

I don't know much about programming, but adding a script that bypasses the wait for a disconnected player, if that player is defeated is highly reasonable, the game should just continue.

The Honorable Recall

@fiercelv said in Freeze Quitters:

Hm...

The problem is that players must wait to eject the defeated player, which is absurd.

I don't know much about programming, but adding a script that bypasses the wait for a disconnected player, if that player is defeated is highly reasonable, the game should just continue.

I definitely don't want that. Sometimes the dead player is higher-rated and is providing important advice.

Or the dead player is part of a team on voice chat and is providing good advice to his teammates.

Throwing them out because they lag one time for 30 seconds is not good. It could change the outcome of a game and it takes away people's ability to participate.

If they are dead and they lag out 5 times for a total of at least 3 minutes, then maybe they should be auto-kicked

@arma473

Nobody wants to kick the player if he is defeated, but if the defeated player looses connection, regardless on purpose or not, other should not wait for him.

Usually, the story goes like this: player gets sniped, he goes like: bad team, blah blah, making some slurs and quits freezing the game, and alive players need to wait 1 minute 35 seconds to press the eject button, sometimes some players can't press the eject button because it is grayed out, hence people need to wait 3 minutes 15 seconds for the client to automatically kick the defeated player.

See the problem?

Something definitely must be done.

The Honorable Recall

I don't think that's the "usual" situation.

You're talking about a person specifically griefing other people by cutting off their internet connection for about 60 seconds at a time and then reconnecting. Which is deliberate and malicious.

Most of the time when we lose a connection to someone, it's an innocent thing.

Griefers should be temp banned.

@arma473

How one can tell if a person is doing it on purpose or not?

Regardless, griefing happens quite often.

How one can prove that someone is griefing?

As far as I know, currently griefers are running wild without any punishment what so ever.

The Honorable Recall

@fiercelv said in Freeze Quitters:

How one can tell if a person is doing it on purpose or not?

Regardless, griefing happens quite often.

How one can prove that someone is griefing?

As far as I know, currently griefers are running wild without any punishment what so ever.

If you see it happen report them and the moderation team will review it and take action.

I've had this in 1 v 1. Thought it was deliberate to try and get an unrated game...