Force Me To Learn Hotkeys

alt text

Force Me To Use Hotkeys or its alternative name Make Me GitGud is a mod that does exactly as the title suggests. From the mod description:

"This mod prevents the following buttons from registering mouse clicks thus forcing the user to use (and learn!) hotkeys: Unit commands (attack / move / patrol etc), Factory pause/infinite build, Anything in the build bar (units/buildings but not com upgrades) and the 4 pings. Factory HQ upgrades as well as autobuild are exempt because as far as I know there are no hotkeys for them."

This is a mod I've been wanting for some time after noticing inefficient mouse usage despite having the keybind set up (for example to toggle the factory infinite button or upgrade a mex). No matter how many times I would tell myself "use your keys to queue up units" I would always default to using my mouse because when you're in game and stressing out your autopilot/muscle memory kicks in. After using this mod it has taken only a handful of games before I'm becoming competent with using them.

Available: In the mod vault!

Note: A better version of this mod would have customizable options to enable/disable groups of buttons. I currently do not have the inclination to make that change so if anyone else is they are welcome to build upon this mod.

@Swkoll your time has come.

Swkoll is here to make people like myself feel bad about how bad they are at the game. I use hotkeys religiously and fairly effectively and he'd still wipe the floor with me in a 1v1. feelsbadman

That being said, while I don't personally have a use for this mod I love the idea!

Wow i'll be sure to try this, I've been playing years and only use two hotkeys #shame #shame

Nice one

Ban Anime

@archsimkat I've never felt so attacked.

Note: A better version of this mod would have customizable options to enable/disable groups of buttons. I currently do not have the inclination to make that change so if anyone else is they are welcome to build upon this mod.

Agreed. It's been suggested that using hotkeys is not necessarily better than not using them, especially when going from not using them at all to suddenly trying to learn to use dozens of them. It would be a better mod if it could just target in on one hotkey at a time that you know would benefit you to use more. Forcing dozens of hotkeys might just end up being frustrating enough for people to not bother using the mod.