RCV ~ Masters of AI Tournament Dev

re wrote first 4 posts to reflect latest RCV tourney,
new Rainbow Cup V discussion starts below 🙂

Map Pool:

Tentative map pool :
I am play testing 'mostly' the same maps, and in 'mostly' the same order as the last RC.
(Maps that don't play well below will be switched out)

Games 1+3 use 10 x 10 maps, and all game 2's use larger maps up to 20x20 maps:

Swarm................Ad Tournament Decision...............Matches: 1-4.....................Game 1.............Map 1 (Tested at 1.3x)
Swarm................20x20 White Fire 8v8.........................Matches: 1-4.....................Game 2............Map 2
Swarm................adaptive lonely island.....................Matches: 1-4.....................Game 3............Map 3

SCTA...................Canyon Mayhem..................................Matches: 5-8...................Game 1..............Map 4
SCTA..................Big Bang Dry.............................................Matches: 5-8....................Game 2............Map 5
SCTA.................Adaptive Algun.......................................Matches: 5-8...................Game 3.............Map 6

SE.........................5vs5 Tabula Rasa ...............................Matches: 9-12 ...............Game 1..............Map 7
SE........................?? ??20x20?? ??......................................Matches: 9-12.................Game 2.............Map 8
SE.......................Ad Flooded Tabual Rasa ................Matches: 9-12 ................Game 3.............Map 9

Uveso................Adaptive Regor Highlands............Matches: 13-16................Game 1.............Map 10
Uveso...............Adaptive Dual Italy.............................Matches: 13-16...............Game 2............Map 11
Uveso..............Adaptive Actavia Fixed Ed.............Matches: 13-16.................Game 3............Map 12

DilliDalli............Adaptive Strongwyn.......................Matches: 17, 18 +20........Game 1.............Map 13
DilliDalli...........adaptive delta riva...........................Matches: 17, 18 +20.......Game 2............Map 14
DilliDalli.............Plateau of Arracis............................Matches: 17, 18 +20.......Game 3............Map 15

RNG+/M27........Ad Coiling Dragon River............Match: 19..............................Game 1.............Map 16
RNG+/M27........Selkie Mirror.......................................Match: 19..............................Game 2............Map 17
RNG+/M27........Delta Ravine......................................Match: 19..............................Game 3............Map 18

RNG+/M27........Ad Fields of Grt Phoenix............Match: 21................................Game 1............Map 19
RNG+/M27.......Adaptive Selkie isle 5v5............Match: 21................................Game 2............Map 20
RNG+/M27.......Hyperion..............................................Match: 21................................Game 3...........Map 21

RNG+/M27......Finals Bo7 maps TBD....................Match 22...............................Games 1-6.... Maps 1>21, and
a couple new maps and/or maps that were subbed above by other AI's

I have been play/testing the maps with M27 set as the Team Players Standard and
set at standard the 1.0 AI.
I then set the actual game AI mod to a cheat factor that will be set high enough to stand vs M27 for 25 minutes.
ie: First game in tourny is AI-Swarm, on -Adaptive Tournament Decision, and
with Swarm set to 1.3x vs M27, it was able to last for 29 mins (when M27's Fattie arrived),
so the game condition will have the Swarm AIx set to 1.3x on this map.

AI's that are now assigned water maps that don't play them well will have them substituted for a land map.

I will keep this post updated as maps are finalized and AIx's shown.

Here's how the maps will be presented:

01AdTournDescL.jpg
Maps will be uploaded to the main RCV tourny thread here:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/4033/rainbow-cup-v-3v3-1-800-1-2k/6
Check out this thread to see all the AI positional and AIx factor details.
Remember though, that AI positions and AIx factors may or may not have changes
done on day before actual tournamet.
(but... Expect them to either have an additional 2 AI's added to each, or an increase of the AIx by at least a 0.1x factor 🙂

Going to list maps in this Spreadsheet format:
MapPool.jpg

Possible number of games shown in last column refers to
the minimum or maximun number of games to be played by each AI.
(If we end up with 12 teams)

How numbers were arrived at:
Swarm, SCTA, SE and Uveso ALL have 4 matches planned (matches 1-16), on 3 maps, so
if their 4 matches go the minimum of 2 games each -there will be 8 games, if
all 4 matches go the max 3 games each - there will be 12 games played.

DilliDalli has 3 matches planned (matches 17,18 +20) on 3 maps, so
there will be a minimum of 6 games played and
a maximum of 9 games played.

For RNG and M27 - there are also 3 matches planned, but more maps,
(matches 19, 21 and the Finals)
If each match plays the minimum numbers of 2,2 and 3 games -
there will be only 7 games total.
If each match goes the max number of games of 3,3 and 6 games '
there will be 12 games.

As far as FAF Casting goes.....
I am hoping casters will show each map, at least one time, so
each AI will get min of 3 game air time.
RNG and M27 will split the air time of 7-12 games between them.
Although approx 4 maps will be RNG only, and
4 maps will be M27 only and
4 maps will be a combo of RNG and M27 on map at same time.

So even though RNG and M27 will have less "total games" played individually,
they will end up with the "most" air time.
(since the last 3 rounds are all most likely to be cast)

The other AI's will have to check the vault replays, to check out
their majority of games played, but not cast.

See above post

So far only 2 maps have been chosen and displayed in the table above.
If any Dev, believes the maps assigned will not preform properly,
please let me know,
thanks

above table has been copied to post #2 at top of thread and will be updated there.

Will replay IDs be posted as the games happen and/or will games need to have a specific title so they can be easily located in the vault? Eg as there’ll be a few days between losers round 4 and the final day if any issues come up in that time for M27 there’s a chance I could do something to fix them ahead of the final

M27AI developer; Devlog and more general AI development guide:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/2373/ai-development-guide-and-m27ai-v44-devlog

@maudlin27
No one took note of the Tourny game ID's during last couple of RC's,
although "most" did put "Rainbow" somewhere in the title.
But...
For this tourny, I will go back at end of each day and write the Id's down for each match.
and Make a list of ALL the games played with ID #'s included.
It would be hard to do during the tourny, as it is very busy time trying to help players get lobbies set up correct, update the Challonge brackets and answer players questions.

As far as "updating" the AI mid week, during the tourny, I don't see any problems.
Will just have to remind the game hosts to update during the semi finals.

During RCIII - Swarm was updated mid week and hosts tried to cast a previous weeks game while waiting for the Final days matches to start... and
they had to re-install the "older" swarm version to get it to work.

Would be nice if newer versions of AI's were backward compatible and able to show/replay
older version games.

I think the client will auto download the ai version the replay was done unde; the only way for a new version to be backwards compatible would be if the changes made had no impact so I dont think it’d be practical

M27AI developer; Devlog and more general AI development guide:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/2373/ai-development-guide-and-m27ai-v44-devlog

@fearghal said in RCV ~ Masters of AI Tournament Dev:

Would be nice if newer versions of AI's were backward compatible and able to show/replay
older version games.

Not possible.
As soon as you change any sim command you will change the sim checksum and cause a desync with the replay.

Would say it's generally bad form to do smth like update AI in the middle of a tournament. If people experimented and found things to exploit in certain scenarios, they could at least be given the opportunity to get the boons for their efforts.

Kind of like releasing a balance patch in the middle of a major tournament.