Hate hate

why we would have empathy for a racist

Do they deserve to die?

Former Board Member - March 2021 - March 2022

@blackyps I was meaning why is it possible to even make a lobby name like that.....in other words, why is it allowed

I understand FAF better than I can play it

@furyritchie said in Hate hate:

Do they deserve to die?

really dude.......lets just end this here

I understand FAF better than I can play it

@tsirkitna

I was meaning why is it possible to even make a lobby name like that.....in other words, why is it allowed

As Giebmasse said:

Some simple blacklist of words is a bit icky, can be easily circumvented and can even promote more childish users to see where the limits are and thus emphasizing the problem.

You invest all this developer effort and it can be circumvented with a few letter changes. The easiest way is for people to report the games.

Former Board Member - March 2021 - March 2022

Just cuz someone uses a racial slur as the title for their lobby in an online video game doesn’t mean they “are a racist”. That’s just some term people came up with in order to dehumanize other people who they believe are “objectively” worse people. I would not be at all surprised if you told me that the majority of people who do this are kids who don’t know any better. I agree with fury here, such behavior should not be tolerated and we should do everything we can to prevent it from happening, but immediately issuing permabans and implementing naive automated censoring are not healthy for the community.

I made a note for myself about generating automated moderation reports, so you should know that this thread has already accomplished some change; people are not shooting you down and completely ignoring you. I just think it’s sad that your responses have been so toxic, when really everyone here is sympathetic to your goal.

Automatic filters also have negatives and make it pain to comment on things.

A extremely good example

I'm on a diesel forum, I recommend all diesel engines in the us made 2007 or older use the white power service bottle in every fill up. White power gets deleted, so I have to phase my sentence so white and power are not together. "Use the white bottle power service"

It's better to let people speak and bring the hammer down on the assholes

Punishing people for thinking or being a certain way will just make them angry and lead them into more radical and echo chamber communities. If you really want to fix the problem you need to convince them that racism and sexual orientation discrimination are wrong and bad. You can try being intolerant and bludgeoning the racism out of them on FAF, and maybe it will lead to less racism on FAF in particular, but it's the lazy way out, and ultimately moves the problem elsewhere and makes it worse. Your attitude that no adult should be tolerant in 2021 is what leads to the extremely divided ideological landscape we have now.

@tsirkitna said in Hate hate:

Because it's not a clear-cut term. Replace "racist" with "murderer", "arsonist" and such and everyone will agree, because these are obvious bad things. "Racist" can be anything from "discriminating employer" to "edgy teen" or "disagreed with me on Twitter once".

Even a murderer tho. Like what if I murdered a serial killer or a child abuser because I knew that the legal system was flawed and let them off the hook on a technicality. This is the problem with these blanket terms.

@Tsirkitna by banning people, you're wasting an opportunity to use FAF as a tool to combat racism in the wider global community. I grew up in a racist household, and a racist community, and was absolutely a racist teenager, and it wasn't until I discovered punk rock music that it was really driven home to me that I would have to change to be involved in that community, because that shit doesn't fly in punk rock. Racism in FAF is irrelevant. Racism in the world is the problem, and FAF can be a tool we use to combat racism by letting users know that if they want to play the game they love, they're gonna have to change, because that shit doesn't fly here. That involves a little bit of patience and tolerance of those who show up here impatient and intolerant, at least a little bit more than you're suggesting.

I wholeheartedly agree with what @zappazapper said. I think at some point in this thread someone mentioned that often times they're just kids who don't know what they're saying. Permabanning someone like that is an awful idea and is basically how to radicalize 101. I think repeated use of hate speech can and should lead to a permaban eventually, but certainly not in the first or even second or third occurrences depending on the severity.

There are people that I play with who have been banned for short periods of time before and I have seen them change their behavior as a result, at least for a good amount of time. We need to give people chances to change and to moderate their own behavior, not just throw them out immediately.

I think this thread has served its purpose. Locked.