Aulex's Player Councilor Application

Ethos:

I have proven myself consistent in maintaining mapgen lobbies and responsibilities across many years of being a FAF icon and have over the time proactively taken additional responsibilities in order to keep the FAF interesting with mapgen lobbies. I will continue to host precisely the same mapgen lobbies for my next mandate.
Future Plans:

Mapgen
Over the last year I have worked with nobody to create a thriving mapgen community and continue to work with nobody to drive mapgen down people's throats. This is intended to give people some spice in their lives so they keep playing games as it gives people new maps that incentivize playing while also eliminating the inevitability of lame ass games.

Essentially, you will need a to accept that mapgen games are the best then begin either hosting them or playing them. Once you've accepted this you will become a better player and enjoy faf more. In addition, when you begin playing mapgen you will become of a new class of player. You can look down on those who do not play mapgen as the plebs that they are.

This in turn allows will provoke these plebs to begin playing mapgen so they too can join the elite club. Slowly FAF will become a utopia of mapgen savants.

Mapgen
I'm planning on hedging the FAFLive channel as a way to garner interest in mapgen from the rest of the community. With about 100 reliable viewers at any general point in time and (hopefully) aiming for 250-300 during this year's mapgen tourney, we should be entering the realm where sponsors may be interested in helping support mapgen events. Ideally this results in both more mapgen tournaments and more exposure for mapgen through coordinated media campaigns and connections to real world firms.

Matchmaker
Since there has been a lot of interest in revisiting the concept of polling for maps, I will completely ignore the idea and replace every map with mapgen. In order to minimize work on my end, we will never have any new ladder map rotations, mapgen will be forever.

I also plan on working with nobody to create a better matchmaking algorithm that will forcibly queue players up for mapgen games if they are not in one.

I also want to fish around and find someone to help me create a way to force more mapgen down people's throats.

Tournaments
I will be trying to fish for additional individuals to help out in utilizing tournaments as a way to promote the 2v2 mapgen games. Mainly, hosting events that are based around mapgen such as doing an invite for the top 8 or 12 players and having them choose teammates through a Captain system.

And to reiterate, I will be working on these new projects on top of the work I do in the link above. Nothing is getting dropped.

I commit to:

Communicating with as many FAF players to let them know that there will only be mapgen games going forward
Organizing a schedule of the FAF mapgen nights
Organizing tournament directors who will run mapgen tournaments for players
Gathering feedback from the FAF project community to completely ignore it and only create more mapgen modes.
Presenting and represent this information in the best interest of making mapgen the only game mode.

I do not take the Councillor Pledge because it is folly and the current writing of it calls for several current Councillors to resign or be replaced. Read: "I understand that if I am unable to perform these duties, I will resign or be replaced" & "I will spend at least 4 hours per week working on These Responsibilities" in combination with "avoid bringing FAF into disrepute"

I will instead pledge:

I will work to accomplish my own interests and pushing mapgen. When interests of the various user bases collide or the user base clashes with contributors, I will work to create a compromise that best serves none involved. I will maximize my own interests.
I will maintain the same level of work ethic that I have maintained through all my years on FAF, very little.
I will act as the voice for no players across all levels of FAF while also acting as a brick wall.
I will pledge to work on both making a new Councillor Pledge and holding current Councillors responsible for their failure to uphold mapgen games as the dominate game mode. They should be expected to justify why they do not play mapgen games.

And that last pledge point will be my first action as Player Councillor.

I expect a higher quality of mapgen maps then the ones you have currently been hosting. Until that happens, my vote is withheld.

A RIVER MEANS A RIVER, NOT A POND!!!!!

So much words map gen, Bad candidate

DONT BELIVE BH HE IS LIEING

Should also include permabanning everyone who dares to play a non map gen game

Ban Anime

can't even tell who are you?

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

If you add a separate map gen rating you have my vote and the vote of my many supporters.

Sorry, without the commitment to make council entry a trial by gladiatorial combat, I will be voting for Blodir this election.

I will never vote for blodir unless he posts his application into the official application thread. Who does he think he is?

@blackheart Good suggestion

I'll go 1 step further, I will completely remove all other maps from the vault. There will only be mapgen. If you attempt to circumvent this I will ban you. I pledge this.

Instead of matching people with human opponents, can you match them to generated AIs with unique personalities?

While I appreciate a joke; why not put this energy towards something productive?

@sheeo said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

While I appreciate a joke; why not put this energy towards something productive?

No, it doesn’t sound to me like you do appreciate it.

I love u Sheeo, but not a fan of this attitude.

Reminds me of when a colleague told me about how they had a bit of a pokemon go club at coffee breaks. The big boss of the org came by it and said he thought it was dumb and a waste of time. She was not very happy about that.

The truth is we all spend most of our time suboptimally. Some play games, others watch reality tv. Making people laugh is hardly the worst thing you could procrastinate with.

Besides while you could argue that contributing code is more valuable than humor from a pure utilitarian standpoint, you could also argue that nobody should be working on FAF in the first place. We got plenty of bigger problems in the real world we should be tackling instead.

But yet we work on FAF anyway, because for some reason that is what inspires us and motivates us. And yes, sometimes we are inspired to write satire, or long winded forum posts. And that's all right.

We should all use our energy finding replacement for ftx

@blodir said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

How much did you gather about my attitude from this question?

I meant it sincerely when I said I appreciate a joke.

But I have to be quite honest: I was originally delighted to see both you and Aulex applying for this and subsequently very disappointed to find out they're both some form of humour troll post.

I hoped for a moment we could have some great long-standing members of the community back in the council, willing to represent and work for FAF.

Instead the whole process is just ridiculed; and by big names in the community like yourselves.

Reminds me of when a colleague told me about how they had a bit of a pokemon go club at coffee breaks. The big boss of the org came by it and said he thought it was dumb and a waste of time. She was not very happy about that.

If I'd commented about you playing the game being a waste of time I would get this. But the subject matter here is electing people who are to represent FAF and its objectives.

The truth is we all spend most of our time suboptimally. Some play games, others watch reality tv. Making people laugh is hardly the worst thing you could procrastinate with.

Besides while you could argue that contributing code is more valuable than humor from a pure utilitarian standpoint, you could also argue that nobody should be working on FAF in the first place. We got plenty of bigger problems in the real world we should be tackling instead.

I'm arguing none of those points.

But yet we work on FAF anyway, because for some reason that is what inspires us and motivates us. And yes, sometimes we are inspired to write satire, or long winded forum posts. And that's all right.

Yep, that's awesome and I love you for it, of course it's all right. Please keep on doing that.

I would love it if you would also apply to be a part of the council and take a bit more formal leadership responsibility.

I hoped for a moment we could have some great long-standing members of the community back in the council, willing to represent and work for FAF.

Oh don't worry Sheeo, that's exactly what we all want

Maybe people shouldn't take things they read online so personally

@blodir said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

How much did you gather about my attitude from this question?

I meant it sincerely when I said I appreciate a joke.

Well perhaps there was a miscommunication, but the way I interpreted it, it sounded like you were criticizing us for writing satire.

Instead the whole process is just ridiculed; and by big names in the community like yourselves.

If I'd commented about you playing the game being a waste of time I would get this. But the subject matter here is electing people who are to represent FAF and its objectives.

Comments like this on the other hand make it sound like you disapprove of the contents of our posts rather than the time we wasted writing them.

I'm certain you know this, but just to be explicitly clear, criticism has a place in any functional democracy, and consequently so does satire. The moment you can't criticize candidates of a public election anymore is the moment the system becomes something that is no longer a democracy.

However I'm sorry for trolling you. I figured it would be evident that the post wasn't an actual application from the fact that I posted it outside of the official application thread. I did intentionally make it sound serious, because I thought that would make it funnier/more entertaining to read.

I didn't really consider that some people might not appreciate getting their hopes built up. My test subjects found it very funny (I also presented it to them as if I was actually applying).

For the record I am very appreciative of all the people who have told me they'd hoped it was serious. I have to admit though that I think there's some pretty strong arguments against my application, had I any wish of becoming PC.

For what's little it's worth, I added a comment in the election OP saying applications not in the thread are not counted as actual applications.

People probably won't read it, but it might clear up at least SOME confusion.