Astro FAF Version (Player Input Required)

We can do 4 by making the playable area smaller. But 2 and 3 are not possible.

@biass My idea was to keep the suffix - FAF version exclusively for maps that where requested and balanced in coordination with ladder team. Thats why I just wanted to point out, that I would be happy if the new map could be named like all the other reworked FAF versions: Astro - FAF version

I have already written a FAF Creative workflow guide on "How to create a FAF version?!", see first post at the bottom: https://forum.faforever.com/topic/398/faf-version-gpg-unknown-inactive-author-map-rework

The most popular versions seem to be without 2) or 3) so I'd ignore these (just be aware some people who prefer these versions will probably continue to use them afterwards)

Re the guide on creating a FAF version that reminds me of one other issue - when trying to play with sorian AI on astro craters it comes up with messages about no AI markers.

Well, this all started because of me making an Astro fix map, so I will join the discussion.

1. The mountains should be able to stop any missiles coming from the navy (UEF cruiser, AEON Torrent Missile ship, Any T3 Strategic submarine)
  2. Many people play Astro because of its simpleness. There are a lot of remakes that have interesting and natural heightmap, but they are not so popular. So, you can add some diversity to it, but keep it simple. But I think that professionally textured Astro is a good thing.
  3. There is a 6 up to 10 player version. Having an adaptive map would be nice. I support this idea.
  4. The symmetry. Here comes where it started. In the original, the mexes are offset by 1 wall from the perspective of a player, but the map creator symmetry made it symetrical. It is somehow weird when you use the X + Y symmetry option. Don't know why, but the one assigning it will have a hard time xD.
  5. The possible reclaim that can be turned off is a bonus on top of it. It will have a high impact on the game if people play with only 6 mexes (The most popular). I would suggest having some reclaim for both sides, do not clamp it in middle. Normally the side which secures mid gives a lot of pressure to the other team, so monopolizing all reclaim in middle would just boost this. Just make it like in dual gap (Reclaim is divided to both sides and in middle, there is a bit more, but it is not a gamechanger).

That would summarize my thoughts. I hope that the FAF version will turn out well and I hope I will be no longer frustrated whenever I see the asymmetrical ACU spawn on astro.

@maudlin27 said in Astro FAF Version (Player Input Required):

Re the guide on creating a FAF version that reminds me of one other issue - when trying to play with sorian AI on astro craters it comes up with messages about no AI markers.

I offer my help on the AI markers.

Here are a few more thoughts

map name

If the map contains adaptive settings, shouldn't it be named Adaptive Astro - FAF version?

turn reclaim on / off

I don't know how to turn props on and off - maybe Jip has an idea - but the adaptive script offers the possibility to increase or decrease the values of the props. The current range is 0-300% of the original prop value.
Another possibility to switch reclaim on and off would be units. These can be placed in different groups and switched on or off using the adaptive script.

I don't think there are any props on Astro so the reclaim could as well be in the form of units wrecks.

@idedary about the The: mountains should be able to stop any missiles coming from the navy (UEF cruiser, AEON Torrent Missile ship, Any T3 Strategic submarine)
i disagree with that,as it is now ships can fire thier missles over the walls at certain points. eliminating this feature will make the map all the more turtelish,limit raid options,and there for make it more boring.
it is debatable if this will make it better or not.
mayby some like it that way,i however am not 1 of them.

adding reclaim to the map might make it better,but must be balanced properly.

@a_Potato Agreed, I'm also of the view that some missiles should be able to get through the cliffs. It's incredibly easy to defend against (build TMD right by the inside edge of the cliff where it can't be hit, and you can defend against cruisers for a small fraction of the cruiser cost), but still increases the available options for the map slightly

Honestly if we could find a way to set terrain height from the lobby options menu that would be awesome. No cliffs, raggid cliffs, short, tall, etc. Options are where it's at.

Re point 1 of my original reply ('invisible wall'), just to note I think it's more likely this was me encountering the Aeon 'building under construction' bug/feature than something map specific - e.g. someone would leave a half constructed T1 aeon PD, and my com would just keep firing at it (and hitting the ground) when on auto-fire; since someone else had a similar issue on a different map, and I can't remember whether there were any instances of it happening on a fully constructed building, it was probably this:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/1461/aeon-t1-pd-under-construction-cannot-be-hit-sometimes