Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments

@cocAurico Yea, there is a bug where the 2v2 queue is using your 1v1 rating when selecting the map: https://github.com/FAForever/server/pull/702. This fix will be deployed during the Feb. 13 server update.

Like FTX said, it also uses your trueskill mean, so not your displayed rating which is mean - 3 * deviation. I checked your ladder rating which is mean 1882 and deviation 65. Since 1882 > 1800, this explains why you got a map from the 1800+ map pool.

Maps should be done by rating, not mu, because rating is known to the players. People should always be able to know which maps they might get.

@FtXCommando said in Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments:

This will still confuse people as mu is not shown rating, but odds are we are going to just toss shown rating as some sort of measure for the matchmaker and instead just give people their mu alongside a placement period for new players prior to them being given a rating.

So essentially, we're in between a systemic change but everything is working as intended.

@arma473 In a perfect world we would have the client filter out the maps for which your own rating is too low in the map pool view, then you don’t need to know what your rating is to get that info (remember one of the goals of TMM is to de-emphasize rating), but of course this will require someone to implement it, so it will take time. Even with that though, you might not be able to get all those maps for a particular match, since the map selection also depends on the rating of your opponents.

And yea, we really want the trueskill value to be an implementation detail, and have people’s skill represented by a league/division. Soon™

Key point is : people should have a clear idea of which map they can be playing so there are not surprised. When I click "maplist" in the FAF client, does it show all ladder maps or just the maps of my pool ? If it's the maps of my pool, i'd say : forget about displaying MU or whatever, just tell people : "check the maplist to know what maps are unlocked to you" and it's totally fine to me.

Map lists in the client display all maps, not just the ones you can get given your mu.

@FtXCommando According to API Salembay and Adaptive Crateria are in the 800-1300 pool (2v2). Is it an API bug or something wrong with picture?

It looks like we have an error and accidentally gave 800-1300 an extra 10x10 in place of a 20x20 they are supposed to get system side. Adaptive Crateria was me swapping the maps last minute and failing to adjust the doc because I felt it was easier to play than Sirgis.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Just as a note because I'm not sure if I mentioned it anywhere, but I've recently transitioned management of the 1v1 pool to archsimkat. Easier to devolve management for pools as they continue to split into various queues and also means there will be people other than me that can handle the technical responsibilities.

On that note, I'm still looking for additional people to assist in curating maps as well as reviewing map pools, so if the concept of having everything you design hated appeals to you feel free to apply. Don't worry though, I'll love your work and that's all that matters!

when will we see map generator in ladder? <:

@Inspektor_Kot said in Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments:

when will we see map generator in ladder? <:

Read the map gen thread, mainly my last post.

Update:
The map pool brackets have been moved up by 200 as the rating brackets utilize mu rather than shown rating.

This means everything is now <500, 500-1000, 1000-1500, 1500-2000, and 2000+.

Functionally, things should still operate under the shown ratings of <300, 300-800, 800-1300, 1300-1800, 1800+ for players. There will of course be scenarios of players in these shown rating brackets getting “wrong” pools but that’s due to varying deviations.

So with the new mod client update there are a few new things I can play around with:

1. I can now go back to adding changed/updated maps when it's pertinent as I no longer need to go and bother a server admin for adjustments.

2. I can now do things like remove <500 maps from the 2000+ bracket, make brackets have totally unique maps etc. The main thing I'm interested in is whether lower rated players feel their maps are too complicated or higher rated players feel their maps are too simple. If they do, I can partition <500 maps from higher rating brackets and make those maps more simple, creating a better system for everyone.

Due to there only being like 10 or so players that could fit 2000+ in 2v2, I've condensed it into the 1500+ category.

This post is deleted!

So, when you get a map generator map, it brings up the dialogue to install... might want to disable that for ladder!

That only happens in the python client so nothing to be done unless someone changes it and everyone updates who uses that client

Aka the legacy client that is not supported anymore. If you ask Gatsik nicely maybe he will do it. (Dunno what his FAF name is)

@askaholic said in Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments:

Aka the legacy client that is not supported anymore. If you ask Gatsik nicely maybe he will do it. (Dunno what his FAF name is)

I don’t know what you mean by not supported. I can get tmm matches with it so it seems functional.

There’s a lot of people using python so I was raising the point about this dialogue.

Not supported means no resources from the main team are spent on it, if someone wants to work on it it's fine, but they are not going to actively get people to work on it or make stuff for it or consider it when working on the server etc. This is not exactly news though, it has been like that since over a year already.

There’s a lot of people using python

That's is simply not true, it's at maybe 10 peak users or so nowadays.

Okay on topic, it still gives an unfair advantage. We can discuss the Python client elsewhere.