Wanted to stay out of this because I do think Sheikah's doing some good work.
Think there is a lot of the classic FAF "It's new so it's amazing" syndrome going on. This cult of worship has constantly burned the community in the past.
Thought I might compare the opinions of players when it comes to author/generated maps. I had a map from a long time ago that looks something similar to a generated one, so I thought it would be interesting to look at. I scrapped the map idea a long time ago, so don't expect it to release.
Here is a picture of the spawn, dont mind the GPG editor ui around the edges, i'm in a rush.
Already don't have to tell you that most players wouldn't want to play this map in ladder. Why? well:
- You can hardly see the ramps into the spawn, like at all.
- the entrance is far too much of a chokepoint, meaning more turtle gameplay.
- Parts of the ponds appear like you can't even walk over them.
- terrain looks entirely fabricated and unnatural. Like It was made for a game and not because it is "real"
- Stuff at the top has random, unclarified bumps in the ground that you can't see (no textures over them, etc)
etc, etc, etc. This map is a couple of years old and would never be played by the community. Don't need to tell you that. I'm on the ladder team and would probably give this a 2 or less asthetic score at best.
Here is the generated map I took this map from, I like to think you're all smart enough to have known I was lying from the start:
I had to remove the decals from my changed copy because:
- You would know they're not "mine" but also
- There is 1000 decals randomly arranged over the map at max cuttoff distance. This is typically such unacceptable practice that I couldn't even do anything to the map without it lagging out and crashing. I'm running a rig with a 2070 SUPER gpu and all here.
All I did was fix the lighting and make all the textures the same size. I can't really do much to the water because the ground is so low that there is no space for you to hide the 3 "layers" of water underneath, This is another critical flaw in mapmaking. I still refer to this as the "Tokyto special".
Anyway, you get the point. If these generated maps were user made, the community wouldn't even be giving them a chance.
I do think the mapgen is cool because i've been sick of BO whoring for a long time. This is just your reminder to check yourselves. Keep refining this generator and be hesitant to force it onto the playerbase, and I think you'll eventually have a good product.
Also Sheik, after looking at this lighting setup, would rather you stopped taking Emperor Penguins advice on how to make maps look good. I've no proof that he made this, but i know he made some "biomes" and whoever did this one needs to be castrated. My dms are open.