A community effort on a map layout

I think the preview would be great for all maps, not just mapgen. Loki with and without the preview.

97110299-391d-4fb5-b719-b3e630df9a84-image.png

I think options and settings are a must, not some 30 second hardcoded thing. People will (quite rightly) object massively unless they can control it.

Then it is a bit out of scope for this topic - I don't have the time to make such an extensive PR 🙂 .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

yes of course, i have derailed this entirely sorry

With pride I present Mauve designed by @Leto_II - the second of a series of maps in this topic! The map is available in both the FAF and LOUD vault. For more information:

edit: apparently there was a map name in the post of Leto and I overlooked that. Apologies again!

disclaimer: the map in the vault doesn't have any heightlines

Its been a while but lets get back at it 🙂 .

Naamloos.jpg
Naamloos-2.jpg
Naamloos-3.jpg
Naamloos-4.jpg
Naamloos-5.jpg

Looking at Autumn - an implementation of the design from @Blodir . We've had two sessions and the last one will probably emerge somewhere this weekend when the map will become available in the vault.

Naamloos-design.jpg

The layout is quite similar to the original design. It still requires a bit of tweaking where the extractors will be located exactly. I hope to finish that up this weekend. At the moment the big quest is 'filling the gaps'. There are some open area's in the map that I don't want to fill with trees, but there isn't much else to fill it with. Therefore I'm experimenting with how Blizzard designed the Starcraft II maps - small patches of detail in larger area's of nothing.

The focus since last iteration:

• The roads are now nicely marked with a combination of a stratum layer and decals
  • The cliffs are properly color-tuned
  • Color cue's are more correct
  • Props / marker placement

Things that still need to be done:

• Further prop placement
  • The center
  • The rocky areas

And last but not least - after talking to @Valki he wasn't able to contact the original author. Therefore he made his own design and I'll soon be implementing that. Its a design based on Starcraft II meta / balance. More about that map later 🙂 .

Autumn is available in the vault 😄 !

I'd like to provide @Blodir and @Leto_II an additional month for feedback on small changes, such as flattening terrain, moving an extractor slightly or adding / removing a few props. Once April ends the maps will be as they are.

On top of that - I'm intending to making a trailer similar to the trailer for Archsimkats Valley for both maps:

If you have a replay that you think is epic feel free to message me the replay!

Last but not least - time for a few adjustments for the map of @Tatsu and then onto the last design from @Valki .

@Jip said in A community effort on a map layout:

On top of that - I'm intending to making a trailer similar to the trailer for Archsimkats Valley for both maps:

If you have a replay that you think is epic feel free to message me the replay!

Last but not least - time for a few adjustments for the map of @Tatsu and then onto the last design from @Valki .

That is a great idea!

However if I might, I think a scripted game will do more to make a good video. You discussed the intended and expected strategies with @archsimkat and the draft creators, maybe take that as a starting point.

Have, for example, the draft creator and archsimkat list the key attack paths etc. Have the draft creator and someone, preferably archsimkat or a pro, run a "cheating enabled" game where those key attacks are made. Then make a video from elements of that replay.

There's no rush - over time a good replay will emerge and I'll go with that. As anything else will either take up time from me or from Archsimkat and I'll already be spending a few hours to make the trailer anyhow 🙂 .

As part of the update for Tatsu and his map Two Step Shuffle there has been some updates!

9846f4ec-5b53-4994-8a97-ac1b7f377d3b-image.png
010d98ed-3070-489d-aea9-399365c2af58-image.png
905d46da-3cf7-44ef-b7f7-376076b18277-image.png
dd8d7968-7903-4097-89ae-a8e97f91017c-image.png

There are numerous updates:

• The ramps are now more 'rampy' with swirls all over it. The idea is to visualize that the terrain is going downwards.
  • The terrain overall has more detail. Not due to a higher resolution but because of using that resolution better.
  • The center is no longer super-smooth and is now like the rest of the terrain. Including the Atlantis dry dock 🙂 .

Also, did anyone spot the CZAR crash and that you can walk underneath it? 😄

As with the others - @Tatsu has until the end of April to provide feedback. After that the map will be considered done.

The map of @Valki will be started after my exams and other duties - you can expect the first drafts in about two to three weeks!

edit: and Two Step Shuffle is in the vault 🙂

With thanks to @KolmarEye for helping out with a graphical bug.

It appears that a map can end up being partially downloaded / unzipped. Causing you to miss assets, causing a graphical bug. This bug makes it really hard to play one of these maps.

To solve this issue:

• Uninstall the map in question via the vault
  • Install the map in question via the vault. Let it finish as it can take a long time: each map is about 200mb!

Then, once finished, it should it all be good. If this isn't the case, please contact me.