Linux Support

@foodlfg Yeah I mean in the video you see me hesitate a while for which to choose. I'll add the command for openjdk (sudo apt install openjdk-14-jre) as an annotation and in the details of the video. could you remove the comment about the oracle thing and add that command instead.

it's not as if I don't leave that choice to the user all over the video.

even at the .desktop file edit part I say "this part of the path is what you replace with 'openjdk' if that's what you installed"

@Brutus5000 I know it's late but, your guide :

@tatsu what is just delete the config? What file?

Soon™️

~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/9420/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Local Settings/Application Data/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/game.prefs

I have a weird issue (also if launched via steam): when I set windowed mode in the ui it works. But after a restart it goes fullscreen again. Then I need to choose a resolution, apply, choose windowed again, apply. But this is not possible for launched games ofc... any ideas?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

wow I've never seen this before.

windowed works if you resize the window border with the mouse? for me there's a big chance it blackscreens when I do that.

Anyways I'd recommend you also delete the game.prefs file and relaunch from steam once. (set it to windowed then if you must)

why do you play windowed?

Installing windows fixed my issues XD

Soon™️

From my experience the game is more stable in windowed mode.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

on windows. yes. I'm a big proponent of that idea as attested by my fullscreen script.

again on linux the opposite is sorta true considering the fullscreen issues you might get, the one you have for example.

If we can fix those and correctly fake fullscreen then maybe we can align linux a bit more with windows.

I actually don't know how to do this.

I'm sure fake-fullscreeing wine has been done before but I don't know how to do it

Thanks for the video tatsu; it was a big help

I did hit a snag when trying to launch the client however where it gives error:

Error: Could not find or load main class install4j.com.faforever.client.Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: install4j.com.faforever.client.Main

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 and tried using both PPA as well as openjdk (made sure to set environment variable both times) and both gave same error. This is v1.2.0 stable unix release extracted to same folder as the Steam run file as shown in video.

Any ideas?

Got it. There's a hidden .install4j folder in the unix download which didn't get copied when I first extracted the pack and moved the files to where I wanted them. This time I just extracted and copied the run file into the folder without moving anything else and it launched fine so did the ol' ls -a to check for hidden files and found it.

@s3rvant or ctrl-H in file browser. 😄 glad you sorted it.

And my pleasure for the vid.

Finally tested the windowed mode and resizing is garbage just as you said. While the resizing works, it just "stretches" the windowed-resolution but does not increase the field of view as it does on Windows 😞

– Benno Rice

@Brutus5000 said in Linux Support:

Finally tested the windowed mode and resizing is garbage just as you said. While the resizing works, it just "stretches" the windowed-resolution but does not increase the field of view as it does on Windows 😞

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=2255
have you tried Emulate Virtual Desktop?

how you access it is in the wiki:
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?title=Setting_Up_FAF_Linux#No_sound_when_the_game_is_minimized

nice ghetto streams: https://www.twitch.tv/foodlfg

@Brutus5000 said in Linux Support:

exactly.

you have to remember it's a windows desktop being emulated basically.

So expecting the important app running within it to be determining the resolution of the whole desktop is kinda funky. (could probably be hacked together but yeah)

I followed all steps in the youtube tutorial recorded by tatsu.
And I'm thankfull to report that all steps except one went welll.
However when I launch the game from steam or downlords client (to watch an online replay for example).
It launches to a grey box covering some part of the upper left corner of the screen and freezes.
Once I after a while try to alt-tab I get an error message as you can see on the attached screenshot.

So steps that I followed.
1 Installing oracle java14 SUCCES (allthough a tip for future readers to accept the license agreement you have to hit TAB to select the OK button and then hit enter to accept, this is not shown in the tutorial. I assume because it is considered basic knowledge but I had to look it up)
2 Installing steam+setting up the steamplay settings proton 5.0-9. SUCCES
3a Launching the FA from steam to get a run file and get steam to install Directx etc SUCCES
3b The game actually opening FAILED (I got the screenshot below)
4 Installing downlords faf client SUCCES
5 Inputting the given options into the client and setting up a shortcut SUCCES

If there is anything else I can provide that you guys I'll be happy to try and provide.

ProblemScreenshot.png

@PA4SAM
it's not a java or FAF client problem.
it will be something about Steam and Proton...

try a different proton version.
did you force proton version for the game in Steam properties?
what is in your SET LAUNCH OPTIONS?

@Brutus5000
just try that what i wrote. probably it can fix your problem if you set the resolution of the virtual desktop high enough.

Launch options:
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1, PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%
These I copied from tatsu's video

then my steamplay PROTON version:
Screenshot from 2020-09-21 17-15-13.png
(this was adviced in tatsu's video)

When I try proton 4.11-3 I suprisingly get "better" results
Screenshot from 2020-09-21 17-27-06.png
The game launches and what was a grey box for proton 5.0-9 is now the only portion of the screen that works.

@PA4SAM what graphics card & what driver version are you using?

also what linux distribution and what Desktop Environment?

(from your screenshot it looks like ubuntu 20.04 with ubuntu's gnome 3)

also just in case could you confirm that you right-clicked on forged alliance in the games list (and not another game),
selected "properties" and under "general" found the launch options put :

PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1, PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%

?

most likely is that you haven't installed any graphic driver.

could you also try with only one screen plugged in?

Microsoft buys Bethesda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qI6kR2Ua4

i laughed when i commented under John Carmack tweet about this and all the MS NPCs appeared. I had to mute them because im not interested in their confused world.
https://twitter.com/foodlfg/status/1308078362972295176