Linux Support

Sounds like it should work. First off I was suspecting some lib32 drivers or blocking loopback but if game runs on Steam it should also run via FAF (as far as my understanding goes). Maybe some stupid typo in FAForever config?

@foodlfg But if he can make it work on Steam then the run file itself should be good no?

@szopacniger said in Linux Support:

work on Steam then the run file itself should be good no?

no.
the run file is for debugging originally.
Steam probably doesnt use that when you launch the game from Steam. or it issues other commands before calling it. i dont know exactly.
and i dont know why it creates different run files for different versions of proton either. šŸ˜•

the game was working for me from Steam too. with every Proton version.
but the run files did not work for never versions.

nice ghetto streams: https://www.twitch.tv/foodlfg

@foodlfg I see. I was starting out of a misconception then šŸ˜ž

well that's weird because before, on my ubuntu 20.04, I generated run files up to proton 5.13 as you can see : https://forum.faforever.com/topic/12/linux-support/101

@foodlfg you're right though. I tried Proton 4.11-13 and suddenly it works.

I'm gonna compare the two run files, find differences and mess with it until I find what gives.

wierd.

this is my Proton 4.11-13 file (that works) :

#!/bin/bash
#Run game or given command in environment

cd "/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance"
DEF_CMD=("/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe")
PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/bin/:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/bin:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/bin:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/home/t/.dotnet/tools" \
	TERM="xterm" \
	WINEDEBUG="-all" \
	WINEDLLPATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib64//wine:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib//wine" \
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib64/:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib/:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfakeroot:/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/usr/local/lib:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/lib:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance" \
	WINEPREFIX="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/pfx/" \
	SteamGameId="9420" \
	SteamAppId="9420" \
	WINEDLLOVERRIDES="steam.exe=b;mfplay=n;dxvk_config=n;d3d11=n;d3d10=n;d3d10core=n;d3d10_1=n" \
	STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam" \
	"/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/bin/wine" "${@:-${DEF_CMD[@]}}"

and this is my Proton Experimental file (that doesn't) :

#!/bin/bash

cd "/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance"
DEF_CMD=("/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe")
PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin" \
	TERM="xterm" \
	WINEDEBUG="-all" \
	WINEDLLPATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64//wine:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib//wine" \
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/:/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu" \
	SteamGameId="9420" \
	SteamAppId="9420" \
	WINEDLLOVERRIDES="steam.exe=b;dotnetfx35.exe=b;dxvk_config=n;d3d11=n;d3d10=n;d3d10core=n;d3d10_1=n;d3d9=n" \
	WINE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE="1" \
	GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/gstreamer-1.0:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/gstreamer-1.0" \
	WINE_GST_REGISTRY_DIR="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/gstreamer-1.0/" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_DUMP_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_DUMP_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/video.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_video.foz" \
	"/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/wine"  "${@:-${DEF_CMD[@]}}"

no matter how I mix and match the issue does seem to come from the new proton versions.

the thing I can't wrap my head around is that under previous kernels (5.2) it worked on proton 5.13 for me.

I made a new comment in the proton thread : https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/688#issuecomment-764513612
if you guys could please upvote it that would help, thanks.

listen up folk!

I've tested nvidia 460 and after installing it steam doesn't work. just a heads up.

this is on ubuntu 20.10. rolling back to nvidia 450 and it works again.

tell me if your experience is different. I created an issue here : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1321632/brand-new-nvidia-460-driver-breaks-steam-on-ubuntu-20-10

All this does end on a high note though (completely unrelated).

once on 450 again, I tested with proton-exprimental again and this time I got it to work.

here's the run args I used :

PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1, PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1, PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 gamemoderun %command%

and here' s the resulting run file I got :

#!/bin/bash

PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin" \
	TERM="xterm" \
	WINEDEBUG="-all" \
	WINEDLLPATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64//wine:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib//wine" \
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/:/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu" \
	SteamGameId="9420" \
	SteamAppId="9420" \
	WINEDLLOVERRIDES="steam.exe=b;dotnetfx35.exe=b;dxvk_config=n;d3d11=n;d3d10=n;d3d10core=n;d3d10_1=n;d3d9=n" \
	GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/gstreamer-1.0:/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/gstreamer-1.0" \
	WINE_GST_REGISTRY_DIR="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/gstreamer-1.0/" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_DUMP_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_DUMP_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/video.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_video.foz" \
	"/home/t/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/wine"  "${@:-${DEF_CMD[@]}}"

aaaand unfortunately still the missing FX bug but otherwise performance is great.

Having had a few months of really pretty stable playing on Linux, the last couple of weeks have been hellish. I've posted elsewhere but am getting pretty fed up now. I can't identify what's changed, unless it's something to do with a Proton update that Steam did.

I'm basically getting crashes with memory access exceptions, usually 30+ minutes into games but I've just had a game that crashed even sooner than that.

game_14043116.log - This is the log from the most recent crash I had but nothing jumps out for me. If there's something else I could share that might help, please let me know!

Spec:

• i7-10750H
  • 1650 Ti (Nvidia driver 450.102.04)
  • 32gb ram
  • Ubuntu 20.04 (Proton 5.0-10)
  • Client version 1.4.2

@foodlfg had a fix for that I believe. also did you try proton experimental?

@tatsu I'd be massively keen to hear if @foodlfg has any good ideas!

I don't think Proton experimental has ever worked for me. Generating a run file with PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command% I get the the contents:

#!/bin/bash

cd "/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance"
DEF_CMD=("/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe")
PATH="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/:/usr/bin:/bin" \
	TERM="xterm" \
	WINEDEBUG="-all" \
	WINEDLLPATH="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64//wine:/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib//wine" \
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/:/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/:/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu" \
	WINEPREFIX="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/pfx/" \
	SteamGameId="9420" \
	SteamAppId="9420" \
	STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam" \
	GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib64/gstreamer-1.0:/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/lib/gstreamer-1.0" \
	WINE_GST_REGISTRY_DIR="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/gstreamer-1.0/" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_DUMP_FILE="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_AUDIO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_audio.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_DUMP_FILE="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/fozmediav1/video.foz" \
	MEDIACONV_VIDEO_TRANSCODED_FILE="/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/9420/swarm/transcoded_video.foz" \
	"/home/chris/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/dist/bin/wine" steam.exe "${@:-${DEF_CMD[@]}}"

This launches fine in Steam but when I configure FAF to launch using this file it crashes without launching FA properly:

2021-03-11 20:08:55.013  INFO 60023 --- [     Thread-144] c.f.client.fa.ForgedAllianceService      : Starting Forged Alliance with command: [/home/chris/personal/faf/downlords-faf-client-1.4.2/run3, /home/chris/.faforever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe, /init, init.lua, /nobugreport, /log, /home/chris/.faforever/logs/game_14048771.log, /gpgnet, 127.0.0.1:42855, /mean, 1262.54, /deviation, 104.661, /savereplay, gpgnet://127.0.0.1:45845/14048771/SlowHands89.SCFAreplay, /country, GB, /numgames, 404] in directory: /home/chris/.faforever/bin
wineserver: using server-side synchronization.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
wine: Using RTKit to control niceness in the [-15,15] range
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 9420
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197969765596 [API loaded no]
INTEL-MESA: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

INTEL-MESA: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

2021-03-11 20:08:57.141  INFO 60023 --- [ool-3-thread-11] com.faforever.client.game.GameService    : Forged Alliance terminated with exit code 0
2021-03-11 20:08:57.466  INFO 60023 --- [     Thread-144] c.f.client.fa.relay.ice.IceAdapterImpl   : ICE adapter terminated normally

The game log file never gets created, the ICE log seems to just be an EOF exception when it can't talk to FA and then shuts down. Any other logs I should be looking at?

I've also tried generating a run file using the args you mentioned and noticed the only difference seems to be that yours generates a run file without the WINEFSYNC="1" \ entry (which also doesn't make any different, Experimental still fails to launch).

hmm. well I'm not certain proton experimental would fix it.

Could you try this? :

• move your steamapps folder to somwhere safe.
  • purge and delete steam and all steam-related files.
  • run "Additional Drivers" and put the mesa driver back.
  • reboot.
  • install and run steam.
  • run "Additional Drivers" again and put the nvidia 450 driver back.
  • reboot.
  • run FA with whatever proton version and args (I recommend mine, I'm pretty sure it'll work)

now test to see in FAF if it gets beyond 30 mins.

@SlowHands89
i

with this i could get a stable game (45min+). but only with Proton 4.11. nothing else worked. and i have an AMD GPU

The mighty @p4block (that's our server guru by the way) gave us this:
https://gist.github.com/p4block/8d947f85fa707b433af359a699b367fb

Downloads a prebuilt binary wine/proton setup that should run out of the box on any distribution regardless of your current installation state.

If anybody wants to try it, feedback is appreciated.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

works brilliant

it's FA in offline mode.

Don't have any use for that but if I start wanting to play Ai skirmishes that I can save and load, why not

I had to change line 8 to match where my SupCom was installed (appears to be a typo there anyway, "steampps"). Otherwise works well, I was getting atrocious performance in the score screen on Proton 5.0

@tatsu said in Linux Support:

works brilliant

it's FA in offline mode.

Don't have any use for that but if I start wanting to play Ai skirmishes that I can save and load, why not

In Downlord's FAF client change in Settings -> Forged Alliance Forever -> Command Line Format for Executable to

/path/to/run_faf.sh "%s"

To use it in FAF.

Yeah I thought it was obvious to set up as the launcher script in the client šŸ˜‰

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

oh yeah!

What's fantastic about that is that we can just put it into the wiki and it'll make my video tutorial obsolete [ a good thing! ] or I can make a new one showing this script instead.

FAF installation on linux is now EVEN easier as it no longer requires a first run from steam (or for steam play for all titles to be enabled, for that matter if you only play FAF).

If it's stable we might even add this into the client directly šŸ¤”

ā€“ Benno Rice

lol this is in the script:

This game is just weird
Please reimplement in Spring engine

i had more problem installing spring on linux than FAF btw.
random crashes even. random crashes even on Windows. lol